+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scotsman Can't Keep Up

Post Likes

Scotsman Can't Keep Up

Hello Everyone...

I have a 7-year old Scotsman DCE33 residential ice machine. Generally, it's been working fine. During the summer, when the kids are home, it has a hard time keeping up with the demand. The ice melts/drains in the bin faster than it can be produced. Now it's still pretty warm here in Atlanta, but the kids are off to school and the machine has many hours each day to catch up, but it's not.

I have the manual and parts list, and under "Makes ice, but does not fill up" the solutions are either blocked drain or not enough air (blocked / dirty) over the condenser coils.

In the past, I knew when the condenser coils were dirty, that a pass or two with the vacuum would get the system back to normal. This time, I did a very deep clean, with modest amount of compressed air and meticulously straightened all the fins. Still, after two days, the machine is not producing enough to keep up.

I next checked the drain and pump; it works just fine. I can see only a small, partial layer of water in the bottom of the bin. I can hear the pump operate/cycle normally, and there's never any standing water in the bin. I poured about 20 oz of water into the bin and the pump engaged and drained okay.

So, if not condenser or drain, what next?

I started looking closer. I noticed the two sprayers did not seem to produce a consistent spray. I took apart the sprayer nozzles (4-5-6)

and found a fair bit of crud, including a sliver of white PVC pipe, clogging up the holes in the round disc (part 5). I put everything back together, and started the system back up.

As the timer advance into the "spray" or "freeze" mode, I felt around the molds with my fingertips (not easy to really see them, even with an inspection mirror) and noted the spray seemed to be uniform (conical and even), but the ice was forming slightly thicker on the front four molds than the rear four. After a harvest, it was conclusive; four of the eight pieces of ice were pretty normal, the other four were undersized, maybe 20-30 percent smaller. I don't think this would be the absolute reason the machine can't keep up, but it probably contributes somewhat.

I also noticed after the ice is harvested, it seems to take quite a while before the timer starts up in "spray/freeze" mode again. On page 18 of the manual it says (the harvest time) "is preset from the factory at about 3 minutes. Does this mean that when the water spray/freeze stops, it should take 3 minutes for the cubes to drop and the cycle start over? I'm tempted to fiddle with this setting, but I'm not convinced it's the real problem. Why would it need to be adjusted?

So, what should I check now?

(nearly) Iceless in Atlanta

Post Likes
    When was the last time the machine was cleaned by a trained professional?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by yotaman16 View Post
    Never. I've cleaned the bin and usually vacuum the condenser coils once a month. This last time, I used some (moderate) compressed air, and bent all the fin edges back straight.

What other components would a professional clean?

Post Likes
    (Sorry, I misread your post)
    Last edited by Makinice; 09-24-2007 at 09:06 PM.

Post Likes
    the plate where the ice forms, and all the water system.. Before i even look at a machine with a problem i give it a good cleaning, cause a dirty machine will play with your head

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by yotaman16 View Post
    last time car dealer charge 7k to replace engine due to no oil change from last 7 year

Post Likes
    Doesn't sound like it's an easy diy fix. You did most all you could and more than most. I think its time for a new one.
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Post Likes
    Sounds like water valve to me. To test this out fast and furious:

Cut the water off to the unit. Fill the sump with a glass of water till it overflows. Start the machine, and time it to when you hear harvest start, if it is over 27 minutes, it ain't the water valve and you have a serious tech required problem. If it is 20 minutes, you have a great machine with a leaky water valve. and still may need a pro to fix it right.

DO NOT PUT ICE MACHINE CLEANER IN THIS MACHINE!!!!!!!!!!!

it is nearly a waste of time and money, if it is REALLY scalled up and stuff is falling into the ice, clean and scrub it but these machines almost never need cleaner cycled through them and the evaporators do not respond too well to the cleaner.

BTW is the curtian ok? if not there can be issues and home made curtians out of baggies NEVER work.

If none of that makes sense to you, call a pro.

Post Likes
    With that unit it really could be a number of things.
    The water valve as said, low on charge, high inlet water tempertures, or even tube seperation from the back of the coil. High ambient tempertures can slow down production, but it normally is still an even ice build up on the coil.
    I don't use compressed air to clean a coil if water is available.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by idontgetit View Post

Cut the water off to the unit. Fill the sump with a glass of water till it overflows. Start the machine, and time it to when you hear harvest start, if it is over 27 minutes, it ain't the water valve and you have a serious tech required problem. If it is 20 minutes, you have a great machine with a leaky water valve. and still may need a pro to fix it right.

DO NOT PUT ICE MACHINE CLEANER IN THIS MACHINE!!!!!!!!!!!

it is nearly a waste of time and money, if it is REALLY scalled up and stuff is falling into the ice, clean and scrub it but these machines almost never need cleaner cycled through them and the evaporators do not respond too well to the cleaner.

BTW is the curtian ok? if not there can be issues and home made curtians out of baggies NEVER work.

If none of that makes sense to you, call a pro.
    I've never used the "official" cleaner; The curtain is in fine shape...just some mold, but clean and good as new now.
    Last edited by Robert Coats; 09-25-2007 at 01:31 AM.

Post Likes

Dc33.....

It is low on gas, and a safe bet is the hot gas valve will be oily...also, these 134 units are famous for inefficent comps after 7-8 years.....

Post Likes
    leaky defrost solenoid, feel the tube down stream from the valve during freeze.

Post Likes

Darn Resdentials lol

"Vacumed the Coil" chances are that coil is about 3 inches thick ,vacum won't clean inside, get some air (Co2) and clean it out good, Make sure its level , make sure your water Inlet valve isn't leaking through I don't think Scotsman even makes that unit , done by others ! not sure

Ice V
    Outlaw guns? only outlaws will have guns
    Those who live by the sword are SHOT by us who don't.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by idontgetit View Post

Cut the water off to the unit. Fill the sump with a glass of water till it overflows. Start the machine, and time it to when you hear harvest start, if it is over 27 minutes, it ain't the water valve and you have a serious tech required problem. If it is 20 minutes, you have a great machine with a leaky water valve.
    I did this test today...let me review it to make sure I did it right.

(1) Waited for the current cycle to harvest and drop the cubes.
    (2) Shut off machine, shut off water supply.
    (3) Filled reservoir with water, such that it overflowed enough to go down the drain and activate the drain pump briefly. Listened for the automatic drain pump to engage, then stop, ensuring the reservoir was filled all the way.
    (4) Started machine back up (water still OFF).

About 30 seconds after the start, the spray pump engaged and started spraying water onto the molds.

At 20 minutes: Molds about 70% full, water jet spray appeared normal, spray water temp nice and cold
    At 25 minutes: Molds about 85% full
    At 30 minutes: Pump stops
    At 50 minutes: Cubes release and drop into bin. Cubes on back row slightly smaller than cubes from front row. I suspect the spray jets are not hitting the back row quite as evenly as the front, but not a big deal.

Anyway, based on this test, I understand it's probably NOT a leaking water valve.

However, I'm concerned that about the time it takes after the pump stops for the ice to fall and the cycle to restart (20 minutes). Is this what the manual refers to as "harvest time?" In the manual, it says it is preset at 3 minutes, which is "adequate to release all cubes and fill the reservoir." There is a procedure to change the cam setting to change this time, but I'd like to know if this is really what I should be adjusting or not?

Finally, I realize most of you folks are professionals, and I'm just a homeowner/DIY guy. I want to take a moment to thank everyone who's been helping for their time spent...I sincerely appreciate the efforts very, very much.

-Robert
    Hotlanna

Post Likes
    Have you adjusted the time before?
    Last edited by itsiceman; 09-29-2007 at 05:56 PM. Reason: -

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    Have you adjusted the time before?
    No. Have never adjusted or changed the settings on any part of the system.

Post Likes
    http://www.scotsman-ice.com/docs/upl...ual/DCE33M.pdf
    try to adjust you can't make it any worse timer might be bad.

Post Likes

I surrender :-(

After moving the timer's cam opening a bit (both ways) I could not seem to notice any difference in the performance.

I adjusted the cube size screw, and it works find. Cubes got bigger and fused together, so I backed it to the normal spot. Cubes are back to good size.

Finally, I pulled the unit from under the cabinet and noted the following:

The small fan for the pump motor had come off (#12) and the pump motor was VERY hot as a result. It pushed back on okay, and the pump appears to be operating normally.

I again verified the water inlet valve was indeed not leaking, as I did not see any water rising up the fill tube during the freeze cycle.

I let the unit run about six cycles, and it continued to make ice, but just too slow to keep up. I had rigged the drain hose to empty into a plastic pitcher, and noticed that a few hours of operation resulted in about 1/2 gallon of drain water. I hope this is normal.

At this point, I've spent about 10 hours trying to solve the problem, and I while I've learned a lot about how the system works, I am no closer to a solution. It's towel throwing time for me...

Any suggestions on a shop in the Atlanta area? I think I only saw one listed on the Scotsman webpage. Suggestions are welcome.

Finally, thanks again to all who helped.

Post Likes
    I still don't think it will be worth the repair cost for this type of unit. I would recommend a different brand. U-Line is a little cheaper and is basically designed like a home refer. ice maker. If you need a lot of ice still Manitowoc makes a better unit IMO but it is more dough and may not fit if yours is built in a cabinet.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    I still don't think it will be worth the repair cost for this type of unit.
    Ouch.

I did shop a bit today and looked at Manitowoc and Hoshizaki, and they are over $1200. So, I'm totally willing to put some money into repairing this 7-year old Scotsman vs. buying a new machine.

This is *really* frustrating because the machine makes great ice, just not enough of it to keep the bin filled. I hate to just toss it and buy another one...would much rather get this one repaired, even if did cost some bucks.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in