Thread: Maytag IQ Drive inverter board noise

Post Likes

Maytag IQ Drive inverter board noise

Checking with those of you who have experience with the new IQ Drive systems. The inverter board on mine emits a high pitched whine whenever the compressor is operating. Its a pretty annoying sound that can carry far, it is noticeable inside the house.

I'm wondering if this is typical for these systems, or do I need a new inverter board? Do you guys hear this on all the systems you've installed? I'd be interested to hear from others that have experience with these systems. Thanks.

Post Likes
    I can't comment on the Maytag system, but inverters do have a habit of making all sorts of fun noises. I have an induction cooktop which uses an inverter to drive its coil and it makes all sorts of noises.

On your system, it might be possible for them to either tighten down the board a bit more, or put some cork/foam tape between the board and its mounting posts to physically isolate it from the rest of the condensing unit case, which should cut down on the sound a bit. If it gets really bad, they could insulate the electrical compartment a bit.

Hopefully someone who works on these systems can comment.

Post Likes
    The iQ Drive produces very little noise, if you are sure that the noise is from the inverter then replace the inverter. Nordyne does have a tech line if you would like to look into it more I'm sure they would like to test the inverter.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the insight. The noise out of this thing carries right through the wall into the house. For a system advertised as being quiet, I can't believe this is running correctly. Mechanically it is very quiet, its just got this noisy electronic board in it. I'm hoping Maytag will replace it with a new board.

Post Likes
    Having dealt with Daikin, Fujitsu, and Mitsu inverter units, they all whine, but it's pretty low volume. Usually you have to be standing right next to the thing to notice it at all, and it never comes through the piping.
    Is this thing charged right? What does the installer have to say about it? Or the factory?

Quote Originally Posted by Ford350 View Post
    Checking with those of you who have experience with the new IQ Drive systems. The inverter board on mine emits a high pitched whine whenever the compressor is operating. Its a pretty annoying sound that can carry far, it is noticeable inside the house.

I'm wondering if this is typical for these systems, or do I need a new inverter board? Do you guys hear this on all the systems you've installed? I'd be interested to hear from others that have experience with these systems. Thanks.

Post Likes
    The charge was checked and the installer says its OK. They also say that all these systems make that noise. I can understand a slight noise, but I can hear this thing out in front of the house as well as inside. If you're on the porch about 10 feet from the unit it is very annoying. You can hear it 20-30 feet away no problem. I'm sure the neighbors notice it also as I live in a condo.

The factory claims I shouldn't hear anything, and that the installer needs to call their tech support to get it figured out. I'm having difficulty getting the installer to followup on this.

Post Likes
    Well, there is one just a few houses down from me, and I can't hear the thing run from the street. Clearly what you're hearing is anomalous, and the factory and installer should make good on the thing.
    If I were to hazard a guess, based on my industrial experience with inverters on large motors, one of the power transistors in the bridge is blown. Which, like you said, means a new inverter board.

The charge was checked and the installer says its OK. They also say that all these systems make that noise. I can understand a slight noise, but I can hear this thing out in front of the house as well as inside. If you're on the porch about 10 feet from the unit it is very annoying. You can hear it 20-30 feet away no problem. I'm sure the neighbors notice it also as I live in a condo.

The factory claims I shouldn't hear anything, and that the installer needs to call their tech support to get it figured out. I'm having difficulty getting the installer to followup on this.

Post Likes

As a certified IQ drive tech the best advice I can give is to call your contractor and have them check it.
    The noise you describe is not normal.
    It wont cost you a dime.
    You have a 10 year parts and labor warranty unless the system was installed after 4/1/07 when they went to 12/12.
    We've been doing so much,for so long,with so little, that now we can do almost anything, with nothing at all.

Post Likes
    I work for the factory. Please have the installing contractor come back and call the Tech Line and we can help them.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but it sound like you are the homeowner, we only help contractors. So have them call in.
    I'm sure that this problem can be resolved quickly and have you up running normally again.
    The iQ drive is quite system and what you are discribing is not normal.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rpdstl View Post
    I work for the factory. Please have the installing contractor come back and call the Tech Line and we can help them.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but it sound like you are the homeowner, we only help contractors. So have them call in.
    I'm sure that this problem can be resolved quickly and have you up running normally again.
    The iQ drive is quite system and what you are discribing is not normal.

rpdstl,

Thanks for your input. The contractor was at the house the other day and got on the phone with Nordyne. I'm not sure who he was talking to but the service technician said the Nordyne support person was telling him this sound was normal. I can't believe that it is as it is quite noticeable.

The sound seems to be coming from the compressor itself, before we thought it was the inverter board. It is one of those high pitched sounds that make it difficult to find the source.

Its a shame this noise is present, other than that it is a great system. The mechanical noise from the compressor and fan is hardly noticeable, but this high pitched electronic sound is very annoying, to the point I'm concerned the neighbors may complain. It's driving me crazy as well.

I know when the system was first installed, a number of circuit boards needed to be replaced. I'm wondering if the compressor got "zapped" somehow.

I'd be interested in hearing from others who have experience with these systems, and whether or not they make a similar noise.

I appreciate all the input you guys have given me. This forum is great!

Post Likes
    No offense to the Maytag guys here but I would have waited at least a year before having that installed. I don't like buying anything the first year because of problems like this. Can't wait to see what happens with this new iPhone.
    We only want to do it, if we can do it right.

Post Likes
    You guys better go back and read the warranty. Labor does not seem to be included for the 12 years unless the customer pays for it. The only time labor gets paid is for a max of $250 to replace the outside unit.
    There are caveats to this base warranty.

http://www.maytaghvac.com/literature...y/M1200wty.pdf

Since the IQ changes frequencies down to as low as 15Hz I assume there is a frequency swing and that the noise you are hearing is a run frequency for that given cooling requirement.

Post Likes
    Comment deleted by poster
    “I am for doing good to the poor, but...I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. I observed...that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer.”
    ― Benjamin Franklin

Post Likes
    I'm having the exact same problem you are having. I would like to know if your problem was resolved.

The only thing is, when the techs show up it doesn't make the noise. They are coming again today. Hopefully they will be able to hear it.

How was your problem resolved?

Post Likes

Same problem

rpdstl,

Thanks for your input. The contractor was at the house the other day and got on the phone with Nordyne. I'm not sure who he was talking to but the service technician said the Nordyne support person was telling him this sound was normal. I can't believe that it is as it is quite noticeable.

The sound seems to be coming from the compressor itself, before we thought it was the inverter board. It is one of those high pitched sounds that make it difficult to find the source.

Its a shame this noise is present, other than that it is a great system. The mechanical noise from the compressor and fan is hardly noticeable, but this high pitched electronic sound is very annoying, to the point I'm concerned the neighbors may complain. It's driving me crazy as well.

I know when the system was first installed, a number of circuit boards needed to be replaced. I'm wondering if the compressor got "zapped" somehow.

I'd be interested in hearing from others who have experience with these systems, and whether or not they make a similar noise.

I appreciate all the input you guys have given me. This forum is great!
    "Was you problem resolved. I'm having the same problem. Please let me know what was done to correct your problem.

Post Likes

Maytag IQ drive noise

Quote Originally Posted by sonnyflo View Post
    "Was you problem resolved. I'm having the same problem. Please let me know what was done to correct your problem.
    I still have the noise. I don't think the local techs are familiar enough with this system to troubleshoot an issue like this. I plan on writing to Maytag to find out exactly what the cause of this is and if it is considered normal. It occurs whenever the compressor is running. I used to think it was coming from the inverter board, but now I believe it is coming from the compressor itself. It is slightly less noticeable when the compressor is running at slow speed.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in